Libby's Questions

"I didn't question the concept - I knew that would be irreverent.  God forbid that anyone would have questions about something so spiritual!  The things we couldn't explain we treated as too holy to question.  We were supposed to act as if the questions weren't there - admitting them might be too disrespectful.  So we didn't let God or anyone else know we had them."  Dusty Sheets, Intercessory Prayer

What author Dusty Sheets says in the above quote sums up my experience as a kid whenever any religious question popped into my very imaginative and analytical little head.  To question was treading on thin ice with skates that didn't fit well ... if you know what I mean.

Not my Libby.  Libby is all things that I wish I had been as a child.  When she feels it, she expresses it.  No topic is off limits.  There is no "proceed with caution" light in her mind that tells her not to approach any subject with me.

After completing a homework assignment in which she had to compile her abstract thoughts about her faith into concrete black and white letters, she had a few questions for me.  What if all this stuff about Jesus isn't true?  How can I know for sure that believing in Jesus is the only way?  Sometimes I lay awake at night wondering if heaven is real and how it all works?

Good questions?  Yep.

The fact that she asked them was more sacred to me than the fear that she had the thoughts in the first place.  If I'm honest, I've thought the same things!

As I prayed for wisdom - for her and myself - I responded by saying that God made her brain.  He knows how she thinks.  It was no crime for her to ask the questions.  He is big enough to handle them.  And then, as usually the Holy Spirit does, I got a new Revelation.  Since being a child of God means that we have the Spirit of God within us ... peace is a beautiful gift from the Spirit.  When we bring those questions to Him ... and then as a result we get peace ... perhaps in response to those questions ... or in spite of them ... that's the power of a living God.  That is the answer.

that girl keeps me on my toes ... and I love it,
christina


Share:

0 comments