Pictures of Mentoring

Q:  What do you do for a living?
A:  Mentor.

Silence.

Mentoring seems to be a mysterious cosmic transaction that we don't understand.  We either conjure images of an aged professor taking a youth under his wing or we put a suit and tie on a professional and allow them to write down secret things on legal notepads all the while listening to a talking patient with body horizontal on an IKEA couch.

Mentoring is a natural, one-on-one relationship.  You know, I know this really great website that can give you all you've ever wanted to know ... And MORE ... About mentoring:  http://www.fahrenheitmentoring.org/

At it's core, mentoring is about relationship.  As a young woman, I lost my Mom.  A young Mother myself, I needed someone older and wiser to come alongside me and "show me the ropes" so to speak.  Fortunately, God brought me several women who guided me, were intentional with me, loved on me where I was at, and valued me.  This is a picture of mentoring.

Once a week, I usually camp out at a cafe table, order my favorite coffee, and listen - a lot - to a friend of mine.  She is younger.  She is in a life transition that I have already passed.  She pours her heart out.  I get the privilege of hurting with her and helping her.  I get the honor of offering my past, my experiences, my journey with trusting God as a gift for her to unwrap and apply in her own life if she chooses.  This is a picture of mentoring.

My Chris can be found just about every evening checking his calendar to see what's on his docket for the next day.  On this particular day, he has gone to volunteer at a Salvation Army Men's facility where men who have had particular hardships can live life together.  He prepares breakfast.  He shares during a group study time.  He listens to their stories and struggles.  He shares a few of his own.  This is a picture of mentoring.

This morning, I read about John. John was born about 6 months B.C.   He knew his life's call - to prepare the way for a future leader who would change the world.  He shared his simple message with others.  These "others" recognized the leader John spoke of and began to follow him.  His name was Jesus.

Jesus, when asked by John's followers, who he was replied, "Come and see."  Come and see.  I love this!  This is the message of mentoring!  Come - take a risk to follow alongside another and see how to  live life.  Come - take a chance on sharing your heart with another and allowing vulnerability to build strength you never knew you had.  See - how trusting another can sharpen you as well as them.  See - that lives journey isn't meant to be traveled alone, but rather together with others who can pour into you, speak life into you, and see potential in you.

And the best part - anyone - anywhere can be a mentor and be mentored!

Q:  What do you do for a living?
A:  Mentor.
Q:  Can I do it?

The answer is always "Yes"!,
Christina

Share:

0 comments