God lives in Greece (Final)


(The above photo represents that one attempt at a selfie with something other than a cellphone and the results were ... well ... less than desirable!)

OK.  So why the title "God lives in Greece"?  Since living in Austria, I've come to accept certain things as normal.  Rules are important.  You obey them.  If you don't, more than likely, there will be a consequence:  a ticket, a scolding, an opportunity for you to get into trouble.  Being a natural rule follower, I don't necessarily mind rules.  I like them .... kinda.  They give me boundaries.  They let me know what is expected.  They keep me ... but better still others around me ... acting appropriately.  Rules are my friend.  

However, rules with no grace often make me ... weary.  When your tire sticks out 1/8 cm from the white line and you get a ticket ... weary.  When you buy the 2.20 euro ticket instead of the 1.20 euro ticket to go one zone out of town on public transportation and you get a fine ... weary.  When you cross at the cross walk when it's red and there is no traffic and will be no traffic and decide to cross and not wait for it to turn green and someone scolds you publicly ... weary.  When you wear sandals on a non-sandal wearing day that has a bit of a chill in the air and get "the look" from every older woman with whom you cross paths ... weary.  When you make too much noise coming up your elevator and your neighbor complains ... weary.  When you take too much time packing up your groceries at the grocery store and the person behind you huffs loudly ... weary.  

God is a God of order.  He does rules.

But, while we were in Greece, rules seemed to be few and not enforced.  You could park anywhere ... life giving.  You could drive anywhere ... life giving.  You could walk on the wrong side of the street for there were not "right" and "wrong" sides of the street ... life giving.  You could order a cappuccino and then decide you wanted a Latte without condemnation ... life giving.  

It took awhile to walk in our new found freedom.  We questioned ourselves and one another:  
  • Is this OK?
  • Do you think it's OK to ask this?
  • Do you think we'll get in trouble if we do this?

We never got in trouble, were publicly shamed, were issued a ticket or made to feel bad for breaking a rule.  Just the opposite.  Freedom rang through the streets of our Samos.  I even had the courage to ask a clerk at a museum if I could use the public toilet even though we weren't visiting her museum ... I just really had to go potty.  Her answer ... no problem!  I thought I had won the proverbial lottery!

It was then we realized we operate in a culture in which we have adapted.  One must adapt.  One adapts without realizing that you've adapted in certain ways.  Our adaptation comes in the strict adherence to rules.  Nothing wrong with that ... until you operate in freedom from those rules.

I've decided that God can be seen in His people.  We (humans) are made in His image.  God is a God of order and we in Austria can see that about God.  But God is also loosey goosey because we saw that in the people of Samos.  God likes to laugh.  God likes to park in places not properly marked as designated parking zones.  God likes to offer free potties.  God really likes for us to change our order to get the coffee our little heart desires!  He's a good Father who sets boundaries and makes rules yet offers Grace.  He's perfectly just and righteous and full of kindness.  

I saw a gracious, fun-loving God lived out in front of me in Greece.  His warmth and hospitality seen in the people.   His creative genius seen in the geography of the landscape.  His love of blue seen ... everywhere.  His artistry seen in the shape of the mountains.  His boundary seen in making islands boarding sea.  His rest seen in the lazy slosh of the seaside hitting pebbled beaches.  His quietness in the sunset on still waters.  

I got a glimpse of God.  In Greece.  And I loved everything I saw.

Waiting for my next trip to my beloved Samos,
Christina

P.S.  Below are shots I took during our last days.  They speak for themselves.  Enjoy!


























Share:

0 comments