Words for a New Year

I recently told my niece (over a lovely phone conversation that caught us up on all things old, new, and current in our lives) that I like order.  Not in all things, but I do like a sense of knowing what is to come, having a vision, and predicting what may transpire due to careful planning.

I am not God.  Gulp.  Gasp.  To the naked eye, no one would refute my statement.  Yet, if we are honest, could we all admit that at some point in our lives, we've acted as if that statement were true? No, I'm not being sacrilegious - but if I gage what I believe by the actions that can be seen, I try to play God by ordering, predicting, envisioning and trying to accomplish things that I think need to be ordered, predicted, envisioned and accomplished.  

Sometimes ... most times ... these are not for me to handle.  

There is a great mystery in knowing God.  He's a transparent Father.  He tells us who He is and who we are so we can act accordingly, in power, in authority, and in truth. His principles are trustworthy.  He is faithful.  He can never act out of His character.  So, when things seem scary, out of the plan, not according to what I expected, I may think God is acting contrary to His character because things didn't go according to my plan.  However, that is horribly wrong thinking.  Instead, I've got to reframe my thinking into beautifully right thinking!

How?  I have to start asking questions of a Father who loves to teach.  Questions like:
"What is it You want me to know about You?"
"What is it that You are trying to teach me?"
"What needs to grow bigger in my life since You are leading me down this path?"
"Where are the lessons You need me to see?"
When taken through the filter that God is good, He is a loving Father, He works all things for my good ... then these questions can set me free, above fear, and into a new level of maturity that running from these questions could ever take me!

I tend to fear first, then rationalize and end up in a place of faith.  When my schedule gets too full I fear making a cancelation for fear the one with whom I'm rescheduling won't be understanding.  When I'm sick, I fear I'm entering into a season of prolonged illness.  When I mess up a simple recipe, I fear I'm losing my touch.  When I lay awake at night, I fear how things will work out for me in the future.  

I have grown.  Fifty years on the planet and almost half of them spent walking with God have taught me not to hold tightly onto those fears because the reciprocal damage is growth stunting.  So it's just like God to give me a phrase to filter my new year, 2019, through.  This year, the phrase He's been whispering nonstop is:  Do not be afraid!

I'll keep you posted on how this all plays out.  All I know right now is that there is a lesson in bravery that awaits me this new year.  He has spoken.  I'm going to pay attention.  And come hell or high water ... I'm NOT GOING TO BE AFRAID!

Letting go of fear,
Christina


Share:

0 comments