Advent through Netflix

Part of my Advent practice, along with the very important and meaningful disciple of reading the story of Christ in the four Gospels found in the New Testament of the Bible, is to watch movies that prepare my heart.  And ... engage that really sappy part of my inner child.  And ... allow me to predict the end of the story when watching anything Hallmark!  I recently watched Disney's "The Nutcracker and the Four Realms"

In the Nutcracker, there is a beautiful dialogue that happens between the Nutcracker and the main character, Clara.  Disney has adapted the familiar story with a new twist.  Clara finds herself in a magical land in which she discovers her Mother ruled with a loving hand as Queen.  When the inhabitants of the land meet Clara, they have no problem knowing her identity as the daughter of the Queen.  It seems the only person that does have trouble embracing her new identity is Clara, herself.
Clara:  Are you scared, Captain?
Nutcracker: Me? Never.
Clara: Are you out here by yourself, Captian?
Nutcracker: Of course.  I'm the only nutcracker in the entire kingdom.
Clara:  Don't you get lonely?
Nutcracker: Lonely?  No.  I know my place.  It's good enough for me.
Clara:  You're lucky.  I wish I knew mine.
Nutcracker: But you're the daughter of the Queen. Surely you know your place.
Clara:  I'm afraid not.

The Nutcracker knew his identity.  Clara, daughter of the Queen, struggled to find hers.  She struggled because she thought her identity was wrapped up in finding a certain treasure, a key, that would unlock all her answers.  She couldn't embrace the idea that she had all she needed.  She was the treasure.  Her identity, being the daughter of the Queen, set her apart.

Let that sink in and make room in your head and let it trickle down into your heart.  In Christ, our identity is Christ!  We have all we need.  We are the treasure because of the One living in us.  Our effort, our seeking, our  - whatever - doesn't add to or dimish value.  Our value is already determined.

That baby born in a feeding trough and wrapped in burial cloths gave His life so we could find ours in Him!  That's the big deal about Christmas.  That's cause for celebrating!

Live your identity ... and experience Advent through Netflix!
Christina





Share:

0 comments