Turn Up the Volume!

In my last post,  I wrote of preparing my heart to celebrate Christmas through the mindful practice of Advent.  Today, I want to share another way I personally prepare my heart for the season:  mindful story reading.

The story of which I speak is the story of Jesus' birth.  To clarify, the story isn't fictitious.  It's the narrative surrounding the real events of the birth of Jesus.  Much like my girls when they celebrated birthdays when they were young, we would retell the story of their birth.  That's what I personally treasure during this holiday season.  I read the story of the birth of Christ.  Yet, I don't read in anticipation of knowing what comes next.  I read through the lens of a new reader.  I ask the Holy Spirit to reveal new things in this old story.  And, because of His faithfulness, I am never, ever, disappointed!

So far this season, the Holy Spirit has shown me a few things that I am already cherishing for the beauty they hold:

  • Jesus, at birth, was wrapped in strips of cloth.  According to some, these cloths were traditional burial cloths.  How symbolic is that?  The baby born to die, at His first showing, was wrapped in burial cloths!
  • Zachariah, a priest who became a father in his old age, was muted by his unbelief for nine months.  The minute he spoke, it was to name his boy child the name told to him by an angel.  Faith opened his mouth!
  • Mary's belly continued to grow as a sign of God's faithfulness to her.  Unwed, unbelief by those surrounding her except her fiance, unrecognized as anyone "important" by worldly standards, she had a daily reminder of God's message being true!

This morning, my big reveal comes in the hurrying of sandaled shepherds on their way to Bethlehem.  Scripture says in Luke 2 that they went straight to Bethlehem after receiving the message delivered by angels.  They acted on what was told to them.  The received what was told as truth and a message from God.  They hadn't seen the baby.  They hadn't seen the feeding trough.  They hadn't seen the weary mother who had just given birth or the proud father who kneeled by her side.  Yet, by faith, they believed.

I'm learning to trust messages from God.  When God speaks through His Word, I listen.  I ponder.  I accept it as truth.  But how often do I act like the shepherds did?  How often do I dismiss?  How often do I believe intellectually but doubt on a heart level?  Love your enemy.  Hmm. Pass.  Next item, please.

I want shepherd excitement.  They couldn't shut up!  They ran into Bethlem like crazy men reporting the news of what they had heard from an angelic messenger.  After seeing proof of the message in flesh and blood, they rejoiced and praised God to the point of glorifying God with their praises.  

Where is my zeal?  Where is my shouting and proclaiming and glorifying over a message God sends me in His Word, through prayers, through someone who listens to His voice?  It's there ... but I want to turn up the volume!

Preparing our hearts for the greatest story ever told is important.  This process changes you.  This discovering of the old story brings new insight for living.  Make this year a year you get shepherd excitement!  We can turn up the volume together!

Getting louder,
Christina






Share:

1 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete