Pray with the End in Mind


What happens when our prayers are not answered?

There has been a cloud of controversy surrounding the belief of Bethel Church in Redding, California that an infant baby girl would be raised from the dead.  That was their conviction.  This is what they prayed and believed for.  The answer didn't come.  It was public.  It was an unanswered prayer that shook many.

In my own life, there seem to be times of controversy over my own prayers that went unanswered.  I prayed for a certain outcome yet God chose not to answer my prayer in the way I had asked.  I was convicted to pray toward a certain outcome.  I prayed and believed for my outcome.  The answer didn't come.  It was private.  It was an unanswered prayer that shook only me.

Funny thing about unanswered prayer - the enemy's voice can often seem louder and prove truer than the voice of truth and wisdom from God the Father.

So what do you do when your prayers don't get answered?  Choices face you.  They taunt you from every side.  Reasons are offered by the well-meaning and logic sets in to convince you why the miraculous did not present itself in answer to your request.  I know this because it's been part of my past.

Jesus says a curious thing while in the upper room having the last meal with His twelve.  In Luke 22:31, He tells Peter to "look out".  Satan asked to sift Peter.  In this case, the sifting is to come in great temptation to deny that the One with whom he was eating was actually the very One who prayed that his faith would not fail him.

I hope you did not lose the great significance of the fact that Jesus prayed for Peter to not lose his faith.  Upon first glance, it would appear that Jesus' prayer went unanswered.  For twenty verses later we see Peter denying Jesus not once but three times.  Jesus prayed and it would appear His prayer went unanswered.

But, did it?  Look at what Jesus prayed for Peter:
"I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail you.  And you, after you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."  
Did Peter's faith fail him?  In the end, no.  Peter sinned.  Peter denied.  But, Peter's faith ultimately did not fail him.  Peter, when filled with the Holy Spirit, rose to become the founding father of the church.  Peter became the rock.  Peter's faith did anything but fail him.

What if we stopped looking in the natural to how we think our prayers have been unanswered.  When I am praying for someone to live in intimacy with God, I'm looking for the long term.  A temporary indiscretion should not disqualify my own payers.  It didn't disqualify Peter.  Jesus prayed for the long-term faith in Peter's life.  One set back didn't hinder his effectiveness but rather ushered in the miraculous for Peter and those with him he influenced.

Sometimes I am after a quick answer, "Lord, please provide." or "Lord, please heal."  However, when investing in people I love, my prayers are for the long term.  I trust that God will complete the good work in them He began.  It will be completed.  My prayers partner with God's purpose for the one for whom I am praying.

A child, a parent, a friend ... whomever you are praying for ... have the courage to look past behavior that may tempt you to believe in an answered prayer.  Have the courage and faith to believe that God is working and answering your prayer for the long haul!  I sure am glad that those who have prayed for me didn't give up when I failed.  Thank God for prayer!

Praying with the end in mind,
Christina










Share:

0 comments