The 65%


According to the Pew Research Center, 65% of Americans self-identify themselves as Christians.  That's a lot of morality.  That's a lot of people who identity with principles that say things like "love your neighbor as yourself", "don't kill", "turn the other cheek", "love never fails" and other sentiments that can be found in the Bible, the guidebook for a world view for 65% of Americans that say they believe in God.

I'm just wondering where the influence of 65% of Americans, who say they believe God created man in His own image, have impacted the spaces they occupy.  I ask this question because as I look from my lens at the world around me, I see very little evidence that 65% of the American population have been agents for change.  I look without condemnation, for I am one of the 65%.

Yes, there is racial tension.  But, I believe there is a greater tension between the way the world operates and the way it should operate.  There is a battle between good and evil.  God desires for us to live in unity, first with Himself and then others.  Yet, there is a great enemy.  He is the great deceiver who desires to take down all of mankind for his good pleasure.  At the heart of all things that dismantle a healthy society, his fingerprints can be traced to the strings that hold puppets working on his behalf.  At the end of the day, white cops and black men wearing hoodies are not the enemy.  The enemy of God is the enemy of God's kids.

Today I ran into Walmart to get a few things.  Sunday mornings are slow in this mega shopping center.  As I walked in, I was cautious.  There was a black man at the entrance.  I was cautious because I didn't want him to think I was racist.  I smiled and went out of my way to appear friendly.  It caused me to internally deal with a great deal of stress.  As I found my few items and approached the self-checkout, there were two young girls directing customers.  One was black the other Middle Eastern.  Again, I was keenly aware of presenting myself in a way that did not feel threatening.  I smiled and showed respect in order to communicate, "I see you".  I walked back out to my car and breathed deeply.  A ten minute, non consequential trip to Walmart had worn me out.

I find my self-awareness of who I am , a white woman, on high alert every time I am in public.  I want to wear a sign that says:
  • I am not racist.
  • I have family members living in bi-racial marriages.
  • I have good friends who don't share my pigment.
And then, because I personally know friends, who because of the color of their skin, deal with these kinds of feelings every, single day ... I hurt for my friends.

I have no solution for racial injustice, anarchy, political bias, U.S. history and the confederacy, sex-trafficing, poverty, government corruption, media bias, Seattle, and any other social issues appearing in our headlines.  It's all just overwhelming.

Yet ...

I am one of 65%.  I am limited by human weakness but I have a God who does the impossible.  I have the power of my words reaching the ear of my God.  My prayers alone can move mountains.  And, if I am listening, the answer may be me smiling at everyone that looks different from me or  it may mean hitting the pavement to take a stand peacefully for policy change.  I am not powerless.  And to the other 65% of Americans, neither are you!

What if we stopped looking from a limited human perspective of how to solve issues and tried looking to the One who created every single person in His image.  I have something in me that says "I belong to God."  And ... so does every person walking the planet, no matter their skin color, bank account balance, social status or work ethic.  God created us in His image.  He is the Father of all mankind.  Now is the time for 65% to stand and act as His children in the face of global unrest.  

I look at my three girls and I am in awe of how in some way or another they bear my image.  Never, ever would it cross my mind to harm them, allow them to hurt one another, belittle one another, show favoritism toward one another, live in animosity toward one another, or think living independently of one another is an acceptable way to live life.  How must God, the Father of all mankind, look at us?  

I wonder if my one smile, my one prayer, my one voice can make a difference.  It seems such a futile effort.  So when I asked this question of God, the hearer of my prayers, He answered. One person committed to doing the things that He asks can not NOT make a difference.

We, the 65% who say we believe in God, let's do the things HE asks of us!  Let go impact and change for good the spaces in which we live!

A white woman who has a Multi-cultural Father,
Christina







Share:

0 comments