Culinary School

Early evening is when I'm helping with homework, preparing dinner, tired and often ready to slip into the later evening when everyone is in bed ... and I can watch PBS without interruptions.  Today, the doorbell rings.  Annoyance.  When I answer the door, there are two boys; clearly it's a "sales pitch".  Annoyance.

I've already made up my mind to brush them off.  I don't have time for them or their cause and I need my money.  I've already got the door open when the perkier of the two begin the speech.  Something about his prepared speech and reference to neighbors pulls me in.

Side note: I am not the "pulled in" kind of person when it comes to door-to-door sales people.  I can say no to the pitiful kid with the box of candy.  Chris, my Chris, not so much.  Everyone within a 20 square mile radius can be bought with a "please support me" look. Not me.  I'm hard.

Perky boy shares that he and his partner have been chosen to spend a year in Paris at a Culinary School.  In order to raise money for their year abroad, they are selling books.  I look at the prices.  No book in my personal library has ever set me back the prices that these books are listed for.  Then, he tells me, if that's too large of a commitment, I can just donate towards his trip.  I'm up for it ... there is a chink in my armour and I'm ready to part with a little money.  I feel it's something God, through the Holy Spirit,  is telling me to do.

End of story.

I know that today, in the middle of the late evening, I was obedient to God.  It's just one act - one choice - one conscious act of willful obedience.  That's what a day in the life of one choosing to follow God looks like.  It's not rocket science.  It's just one choice after another to hear God's voice over my circumstance.

I had to write.

I'm back to helping with homework, preparing dinner, tired and REALLY ready to slip into the later evening when everyone is in bed ... and I can watch PBS without interruptions.  But, for the moment, I'm doing so with a smile on my face.  Obedience is such a great thing.  I know my Father is pleased ... and because He is ... I am!

back to real life,
christina





Share:

0 comments