Love or Logic

Years ago, when our girls were small, we sensed the need for more parenting help.  I think Addison was in the 5th grade ... so that made Parker around first grade ... and Libby a toddler.  Libby being a toddler - whew!  Yep, we needed help!

Addisons' school offered a free parenting class called ... "Parenting with Love and Logic" (Foster Cline and Jim Fay).  It was the right tool at the right time.  It revolutionized our parenting skills.  And, just for the record, I am not getting paid by this organization to promote their material (oh, that I was) but it's that good and I highly recommend it for any one needing a few extra tricks up their sleeve ... I mean parenting tools.

With love, your offer your children choices with an end goal in mind.  You want them to brush their teeth - end goal.  You lovingly offer logical choices for them to achieve the goal - "Would you like to put on your PJ's before or after you brush your teeth?"  See how this works?  Good stuff.

Right now I'm in another dilemma.  It has nothing to do with my parenting, but rather the way God parents me.  I love Him.  I know He loves me.  I live in a human body.  I have to make logical choices to live on the planet.  However, because I am also a person who has a spirit ... sometimes my spirit gives me other "vibes" that go against my human logic.  That's where the dilemma kicks in:  do I act in faith or stick to human logic?

Right now, my Chris and I are making choices to follow what the spirit is telling us.  It kinda goes against our human logic.  It's scary and exciting all at the same time!  Have you ever been to an amusement park and were waiting in line for a gnarly ride.  You want to get the adrenaline high but because of the sheer awesomeness of the ride, you don't want to die!  At the end, windblown and breathless, you feel the need to ride again.  That's where we are in our journey toward listening to God.  We've tasted and seen the thrill of radical obedience.  And honestly, we want more of the blessing that comes from following Him.

Now, He's asking us to step into the deep water.  I'm kinda thinking that God, the master of parenting with love and logic, has given us this awesome choice.  Obey me ... even if you tremble ... for a greater goal:  knowing me more intimately.  The alternative ... don't obey.  Don't know what's it like to walk in deep water.  He's a gentleman.  He's not gonna force me.  I get to choose.

Right now, I choose obedience ... while I shake a little in my boots,
christina

Share:

0 comments