Freedom

As I was walking to the Penny Markt (a discount grocery store) at the end of my street, I noticed these words.  They have been spray painted on the side of a building.  Call it graffiti.  Call it defacing public property. I call it my anthem!

I don't know what inspired the artist to write his words.  No doubt inspiration came from some deep place that had been bound in chains.  I don't know from what my artist was delivered, but I do know the freedom of deliverance!

Over the last year, God has been speaking this word "Freedom" into my life in such a variety of ways:  other people, through His Word - the Bible, my circumstances, through prayers, through random things ... like words painted on the side of a building!  The funny thing, I didn't know I was in chains.  That's the reality of bondage ... sometimes you don't know the weight of the shackles until they are gone!

A long time ago, I heard a story about how they (whoever "they" are) train elephants.  When the elephants are young, they tie a heavy chain on their leg.  They feel the weight of the chain and when they pull against it, trying to free themselves, the chain is a formidable foe that won't allow freedom.  By feeling the constant touch of the chain, they know they can never be free.  The chain remains until adulthood, gradually being replaced by a lighter one.  Now, the elephant could break away.  It's size and strength outmatches the object of it's imprisonment.  However, it's been trained not to resist.  It doesn't even try.

My journey with walking with Jesus has taken me from attending traditional church, to getting involved in programs, to seeking something new, to participating in more interdenominational work, to seeing the value of "community" with other Believers and now to the place I am today ... wondering how I can "be" the church and not just attend a church.  The way has been paved by such breakthroughs of wrong thinking and tradition.  Each new path led me to a greater realization of God.

Today, I feel I am at the edge of a place I've never been before ... and it's quite wonderful!  God is not bound by a box ... or can even be described accurately by amateur bloggers like myself!  However, this blogger wants to say that the story of my life ... my journey with God ... has led me to more and more FREEDOM!

breaking free, one chain at a time,
chrisitna




Share:

0 comments