Silence

This morning as I was getting ready for my day, I heard this song called "Hello, Lord".   I've been in a Sara Groves kick.  I love her melancholy voice, heart piercing lyrics and raw honesty.  I had never heard this song and it reflected what I've experienced before in my walk with Jesus - times of silence.

Too many times, we equate the inability to hear God's voice with sin or failure on our part.  That's so like us - mankind - to shame ourselves. The enemy of our souls has done a darn good job of creating and helping us develop a strong sense of works within the "church".  If I pray harder, work harder, serve harder, hear harder, listen harder ... then.  Then?  Really?

It's an old adage that says "Silence is golden."  However, modern Christianity says quite the contrary.  Silence usually spells trouble.  We are praised and admired when we are able to hear clear direction and act upon it.  When there is nothing, we measure our value against our inactivity and come up with inferiority.

After spending and emerging from many months in a "waiting" room, I have learned that silence can be freedom.  When we crave answers to help our crisis the very answers we are asking for ... if answered int eh way we would desire them to be ... would be catastrophe.  In silence, new things are being worked out for our good that are so usually disproportionally opposite to what our tiny little minds can think of or imagine.  I am a testimony to this crazy process of silence that brings you to new places.


This is process of learned behavior.  When we choose to learn the lessons of silence ... and rest of the abundant adequacy of a God and Savior to work out that which we cannot see on our behalf ... be it nerve racking and scary ... it's called rest.  An in it's simplest form, rest if faith.  Choose faith, friend who may be walking in silence.  Silence is still golden.  Silence offers the opportunity for rest ... for faith ... for new beginnings and extravagant new things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd2nAWoS_j0&index=5&list=RD3ozpb6R8YSw

Share:

0 comments