A Best Friend


Yesterday I went to see my Libby in a skit she and her 5th grade class were performing for Chapel. Libby goes to an international Christian school.  The name speaks for itself.  However, the "christian" label is given based on the foundation of the school - it's basis for education built on Biblical principles.  However, students come from all religious backgrounds.  You can see her with some of her classmates in their costumes.  In the above photo, you have the world represented:  a little American girl, a girl from the continent of Africa, and a girl from Pakistan.  Perhaps the future of world peace lies before us!

I snapped this photo of Libby (below).  She and her Bestie, Alyssa, were part of the "Worship team".  They led the group in songs that I know drifted to the ears of a smitten God.  (On a side note,  I was moved to tears.  I wasn't alone.  The Mom standing next to me was wiping tears gently off her cheeks, too.  Never was there a purer, more real moment than listening to these little humans who have lived a decade of years on planet earth or less singing about God). As the two of these girls stood, singing together, giving the occasional glance and side smile to one another, more tears came.

These two girls are true friends.  One night this week, Libby had had a rough day.  She was tired and didn't feel good and out of her mouth came the words, "I think my hormones are just going crazy!"  Can I get an amen!  

In an effort to deflect her feelings and calm ragging hormones, I asked her what was good about her day.  Without hesitation she said, "I've got a good friend like Alyssa."  No pause.  No need to think things over.  In her heart she knows she has a good friend.  And that friend means the world to her.

From second graders until now, they've grown up together.  What I hear most often from Libby's vocal chords are declarations of how Alyssa did this to help her ... or Alyssa did this to comfort her ... or Alyssa did this that made her laugh ... or Alyssa did this that made her proud.  My Libby loves her friend.

And before you mark this off as just another "cute" story of girlhood friendship, may I just add that these girls talk of things that I desire to talk about with adults!  They contemplate the role of terrorism on their lives.  They wonder what it will be like to be in heaven.  They consider the spread of Ebola and how far reaching the effects.  Yet, they still dress up like rock stars and perform on imaginary stages made up in their bedrooms!



The friendship between these two girls blesses me.  It's a picture to me of what every woman dreams of - true relationship.  The love each other.  They bless each other.  They call each other on the phone and do homework.  They share clothes.  They talk about parents.  They grow their hair out together.  In one another, they have found a soul mate, a kindred spirit.  They are each better for knowing one another.

These girls have learned a lesson they will take into their adulthood years.  They have been given and have given a great gift.  They know how to invest in another person.  They know how to share their deepest hurts.

I'm thankful for Alyssa.  I'm grateful my Libby has a friend.  It causes me to reflect on the few "Alyssa's" I have in my life ... thank you for being my friend!

a cozy feeling in my heart,
Christina

Share:

0 comments