Anniversary


Anniversaries are ... weird ... aren't they?
 the annual recurrence of a date marking a notable event;broadly :  a date that follows such an event by a specified period of time measured in units other than years (Webster Dictionary)

Today marks an anniversary for my family.  My step-sister, Tiffany, lost her son one year ago today.  He was 21.  He had three brothers, a Dad, a step-Dad and Mom, grandparents, cousins, Uncles, Aunts, friends, coaches, co-workers, and a deeply loved young lady in his life he affectionately called "the love of his life".  For a year, they've all walked a journey toward today.

A notable event, to be true.  A life taken too young, too soon, too tragically due to poor choices.  We don't fault the one who made the choice.  Instead we grieve the action that took his life.

According to Webster, the date that follows an event is measured in units.  I wonder what units his Momma measured this past year?  What do you call the "units" that measured the times she thought about her man-son when he was little and would climb into her bed ... whispering in the darkness "I love you to the moon and back!"?  What does his DaBaw call the "units" that measured the times she cried over seeing something related to China that reminded her of the bright future her grandson aspired to achieve?  What do you call the "units" that measured the dreams his brothers may have had in which they were reunited with their eldest sibling?  Everyone touched by the ripple effect of having known Stuart, despite the deepness of the relationship, all took stock of his life and measured it by some sort of "unit".

This morning, as I sat in my chair, sipping my coffee, and talking to my Father ... I'm reminded of how He sees "units".  According to the Bible, time is measured in years ... 1,000 of them in heaven being as 1 on earth.  Believing by his own admission that Stu knew God through His Son, Jesus Christ, I have an anchor of truth that tells me Stu is measuring "units" of time far differently than we are who are "celebrating" this first anniversary.

I have no idea, other than what the Bible tells us, what Heaven will be like.  I know that Jesus will be there ... and that's all I need to know.  Where Jesus is ... it's got to be OK.  Stu may be in a cozy bed, sleeping off his "earth" gig with a cup of Chinese tea waiting for him by his bedside.

In the mean time, I guess what I want to communicate to the rest of us living out our days in earth time and in "units" that are vastly different from person to person ... where Jesus is ... it's going to be OK!  God's Spirit is the only thing that could have eased broken hearts, troubled minds, and addicted bodies during this last year.  Anything good and perfect and right and true came only from the hand of God ... loving all of us and comforting each heart in a personal way.  That's what God does.

Whatever journey you are on ... and by whatever way you measure "units" of time ... know how very much God loves you.  It's a basic fact.  It's an extravagant love to be treasured.  He is always there ... and I think Stu would tell you the same from his new perspective.



measure well your "units",
christina

Share:

0 comments