Pic of the Day: Airports

Airports.  I don't know the folks greeting each other in front of the arrivals board at the Vienna International Airport.  I just randomly snapped the photo while waiting on a friend to arrive from the U.S.

As I watched for her flight to land, estimating the time it would take to get her luggage (as not to stand near the arrival gate too long and loose my comfy seat in a nearby waiting area) I thought of the number of times I have been in this situation.  Airports.  Arrivals.  Departures.  Delays.  Hello's.  Goodbye's.

Airports are almost like a second home.  In them I have:  greived as if my heart would burst from grief, shed happy tears upon seeing the face of someone I've loved return home or visit, contemplated my lifes' work, settled into the transient nature of my life's rhythm, questioned my need for travel, admired well-dressed women who are able to wear high-heeled shoes while traveling, banished the thought of ever living a "normal" life, decided to change my hair style, fussed over slow customs lines, giggled at way too many awkward tight red capris ... on boys, prayed for my daughter I was leaving behind ... aching for the distance that miles would put between us.

In aiports, I'm always keenly aware of eternity.  I guess it's there I long for the never having to say goodbye ... again.

still snapping photo's,
chritina

Share:

0 comments