Ordinary

Every year, rather unintentionally, I end up reading in Luke (Bible) prior to Christmas. Every year, rather intentionally, I end up seeing something new - brand new - that makes me see Jesus, his birth, his life, his death in a way that leaves me scratching my head.  It started again ... and I'm in Luke ... and the scratching has begun.

So far, I'm struck by the ordinary.  Jesus is born - there's some "Hoopla", some Shepherds and my guess a lot of stable stink.  Then, after the assigned time in Jewish custom, Joseph and Mary bring baby to the temple to get circumcised and properly named.

Ordinary things yet extraordinary obedience.  They didn't understand (take a look at Luke 2:33) everything that was happening.  Yet, their obedience came in small steps.  They just simply took the next step.

I make ordinary life way too complicated.  Life is not rocket science.  Joseph and Mary, parentst to the ... um ... Savior of the World ... just took the next step.

So, the lesson here:  Obedience comes in the middle of ordinary ... steps.

scratching my head,
christina


Share:

0 comments