Memory Lane

Memories are funny creatures.  Taking a trip down memory lane can illicit such strong emotions; the trip can leave you feeling breathless, scared, joyful, anxious, teary-eyed or any number of emotions that were left unsealed from having lived through something that now is called your "past".

For example, Fall ushers in memories of little girls in silver mini-vans looking for the next "Bride of Beauty" (see subject list under archives for full story), stopping at the next 7-11 for a pumpkin spice cappuccino, and munching on candy corn and peanuts at Memaw's house.  Sweet, precious, fond memories of Falls that have settled in the dust of my past.

This past weekend, our oldest daughter, took a trip (literally) to her Grandparents about 3 hours away from the place she now calls home.  She called (Oh thank God for the invention of WhatsApp!) to tell me that she just passed the railroad tracks signifying the entrance into town and did her own countdown.

Let me explain the "countdown".  When the little women that I call offspring were tiny girls and we would travel to Altus, Oklahoma to see Memaw (My Chris' Mom), we played a little game.  In anticipation of entering town, we would pass a certain strip of railroad tracks.  These tracks were the unofficial marker that meant Memaw's house was right around the corner.  Upon crossing the tracks, we would estimate when to begin the countdown to 10.  10 ... 9 .... 8 ... 7 ... 6 ... 5 ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ... 1 ... tires rattled over metal tracks ... little girls cheered ... "We're in Altus!".  End of game.

So, my girl called to tell me she had passed the tracks and did her own countdown.  What's the point?  Memories have power.  Like little B-12 shots in the brain, memories infuse the keeper with life.  If the memory was good, simple, pleasant, warm, fuzzy, cozy, or sweet ... then - no matter how long after the memory was made - when it's revisited - it stirs up good, simple, pleasant, warm, fuzzy, cozy or sweet feelings.  The "Countdown" was sweet.  The memory even sweeter.

Yet, lets say the memory wasn't so "Norman Rockwell".  What if it was hurtful, painful, scary, unpredictable, rocked your world, out of the blue, induced stress, caused fear, and in general made you want to throw up?  Well, that's a different story, isn't it?  Unfortunately, we've all had those kinds of memories tucked within our memory banks.  What do you do with those?

Can I just speak frankly?  You have a choice.  You let the pain work out good in you or you let the pain make you bitter.  The Bible talks about roots of bitterness.  I believe unresolved pain feeds roots of bitterness.  Out of these roots bad things grow.

We can't avoid pain.  Whether its a tiny toddler hand touching a hot stove, a young heart being broken for the first time, a cancer diagnosis, a financial crash ... whatever ... pain is a part of life.  Yet, as I've spent some time walking with Jesus through a lot of pain, I can personally tell you that no pain has been big enough to overcome me.  Has it felt like it was?  You betcha.  Has pain lingered longer than I wanted it to?  Yep.  Yet because God is a good Father, and promises that all things - even the painful things - work together FOR us - pain can be a part of a chapter that is closed.  The memory can raise it's head, but the pain can be laid to rest.

How do I know?  I've seen it in my own life.  Things too unspeakable to make their way onto my lips and be spoken into the air have been healed and walked through.  They are chapters in my "Book of Life" that no longer have negative power.  They have been used for my good.  They have been stripped bare and diagnosed as no longer useful for my good health.  They are reminders of what God has done, how He keeps His promises, and how deeply He cares for me.

Memories have power.
Make memories - in all seasons of your life - work for your good!
Christina




Share:

1 comments