Sunday's

My Chris and I have had our share of Sunday's together.  There were the busy Sunday's that were mostly work days.  There were the exciting Sunday's that still required work but the work was more fun and ended in afternoon naps and walks on a nearby university campus.  There were Sunday's when we geared up with pits in stomachs for another week of language school.  There were Sunday's that passed by with us taking care of details that the week had not allowed us to accomplish.  But mostly, Sunday's were just Sunday's.

Sunday's are now becoming Sabbaths.  I know that sounds so ... Jewish.  But the reality is that Sabbaths are supposed to be part of our rhythm.  And for most of us, especially those who call ourselves followers of God, are neglected commands that are glossed over and rejected as part of God's plan for our lives.

No more.

A few months back, my Chris and I both made a conscious decision that Sunday's would be Sabbaths.    We would do only what brought life and gave energy into our bodies and our souls.  So what does that look like?  If that means a nap - so be it.  If that means reading, or watching a 70's movie, or playing a card game ... more power to you.  We've learned to do what we want to do and not feel one ounce of guilt about doing it.  We make few rules.  We do things that give energy.  We don't do things pertaining to "work".  We don't check social media.  We do relax and spend time as a family.

I love our Sunday Sabbaths.
I am recharged.
I am better.

Writing because it brings me life because, after all, it's my Sabbath,
Christina

Share:

2 comments

  1. Awesome Christina! God is also showing me these days how important this commandment is, and how modern Christians usually neglect it. When you look closely at the Old Testament, there are many times the Israelites are being punished simply because they don't keep the Sabbath. God is also opening my brain and showing me the value in his original decrees and the things that seem to us "so Jewish." It's so exciting and restful. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete