Fasting


Fasting.  A discipline of abstaining from food or drink for a specific purpose, usually religious.  I've had prior attempts but failed.  And perhaps the failing was just in the wrong response to what I thought I was supposed to do.  I fasted because other people I knew had fasted and gotten results.  The results were words from God.  In times of desperation and forgetting that God does not show up because I've pushed a magic button or performed above average, I've tried to abstain for a period of time.  However, those times ended by me grabbing a bag of chips at the end of a long day of no food and feeling like something didn't go right.

I knew - the kind of knowing you can't explain but know that God has put something in place and your only response is to walk it out - that I was supposed to fast after landing in Vienna.  A summer of affirmations helped me be determined to give it a try.  It also helped that I felt I had consumed so many donuts during my U.S. tenure that I'm pretty sure I broke some sort of record for the most donuts eaten in the shortest period of time.  I'm not lying.

Since Wednesday morning (August 9), I've not had a thing to eat.  Really.  And here's the kicker ... I haven't wanted anything to eat.  Despite jet lag, frozen pizza's being eaten by my children and Austrian chocolate in the fridge ... no desire for food.

THIS is how I know this is something God has equipped and empowered me to do.

Fasting may or not be what God's is speaking to you to do.  Fasting has been my "I can't do it" label.  When I knew God wanted to show me more of Him ... and myself ... through fasting I said yes.  Maybe fasting isn't your thing.  Maybe your thing that you consider your "I can't do it" label is not stressing over the little things.  Maybe it's not checking Facebook.  Maybe it's giving your money, time or mental energy to another ... without fear.  If God speaks to your heart to do, He will empower you to do it.  It's His goal for us to live abundantly.

Try.

Still not eating,
Christina

Share:

0 comments