Listen!


This time of year, listening becomes a challenge.  I've heard numerous people speak of busier schedules, busier work days, busier social engagements.  It's hard to be still and listen when you are busy.

So during the month of December, I pay attention to listening:  to music, to people, to my heart.  One of the things I do to help my Spirit listen is find something new to do when I spend time with God.  I try a reading plan.  I try focusing on some attribute of God.  This year, I'm studying the names of God.

When I sit down, in the middle of my own busy life, I sit with the goal in mind to listen, to get the full value of who he is and not who I've experienced him to be or who I think Him to be ... to get the full truth.  This sounds really spiritual and scholarly but this is really how this thing plays out:

This morning I read about God, El Olom.  I at first chuckled to myself because the letters - in my head - got transposed to El Olaf which then took me to the Disney animated film, Frozen ... which then reminded me of the beloved snowman character, Olaf ... which made me want to sing "In Summer" with a raspy voice ... and then remembered what I was doing ... hearing from God.  You see ... this listening is a hard job!  Once I got myself together and quieted the Disney playlist that had already begun in my head ... I read further.

El Olom, God Everlasting.  Isaiah 26:1 - 8 gives a description of what God Everlasting looks like.  He keeps those who keep their eyes on Him in perfect peace.  He is an eternal Rock.  He makes a smooth path for those who follow.  Hmm.  I think I could use this God, El Olom right now.

Last night, I fell victim to catching up on world news and emails.  First, the news was ... disturbing. Second, my emails contained messages from the U.S. embassy for Americans living aboard to exercise extreme caution in light of the recent announcement of the U.S. embassy being moved to Jerusalem.  I stopped reading.  I let my mind wander.  I've currently got parents traveling abroad.  I've got a daughter who will board a plane in a week.  I've got daughters who travel public transportation.  I've got a hectic week.  I've got to wash sheets.  I've got to get work done.  I've got to find addresses for Christmas cards.  I've got to exercise.  I've got to find a tailor to fix my broken zipper on my coat.  I've got to remember to buy milk.

How fragile my mind can be ... when I'm trying to listen to the One who knows every detail of my life ... as well as everyone else on the planet.  When I can't seem to muster a few moments of quiet reflection and exercise the ability to listen to the One who is Everlasting ... it dawns on me.  He's listening.  Always ... to my thoughts that wander, to my worries that bog me down, to the weight of my heart and to the mundane of my life, He's listening.  Not to judge me, condemn me, lecture me, or scold.  He loves me. He listens.  And then I turn my mind toward Him, this gentle pursuer of my thoughts, and tell him about it all:  the news, the embassy, the traveling, the week, the sheets, the work, the addresses, the cards, the exercise, the zipper, the milk.  I just tell Him everything.

It's this God, El Olom, who is everlasting. And yet, in the stillness that measures this moment in time ... He, Everlasting God, is listening to me.

Makes me feel small and big at the same time.

Listening,
Christina


Share:

0 comments