On Being "Home"

My Libby is a processor of feelings - deep feelings.  After about day two of being "home" she formulated what we all were feeling:
People have asked us how it feels to be "home".  When we are in the U.S., we miss our "home" in Vienna.  When we are in Vienna, we miss our "home" in the U.S.  
Now that there is no return ticket and roots must be established to thrive in our new zip code, it just feels like the best thing to do is walk in slowly.  Walk as if the pool of water before us is cold.  Really cold.  I would give myself a heart attack if I jumped into the deep end.  It's better to ease in ... one toe at a time ... pushing deeper as the comfort of the cool water increases.

I love AC.  I love the English language.  I love driving.  I love my family.  I love my friends.  I love big washing machines.  I love Sprouts.  I love being in the same time zone as my oldest.  I love my county.

Now, it's a matter of taking and utilizing the time to reset to a new normal.  I've learned in my almost 50 years on the planet that this transition time takes time, takes rest, and takes sacred moments to adapt. We are landing on any feeling that is good or bad.  We aren't pining away for a home/culture/life we just said goodbye to.  We are just transitioning.

Here's to a new normal in a new place that is familiar,
Christina

Share:

0 comments