Remedy for Life in 2020


Yikes!  It doesn't take much to get the stress levels rising these days.  Just waking up to check the weather turns into newsfeed streams of protests, natural disasters, COVID and other hot topics that seem to drag one into a spiral that leads to despair.  

What's the remedy for surviving life in 2020?  I'd suggest there are several tools that would help us all cope, but if looking for a long term solution for stress, be it 2020, 1920 or 2220 ... the only solution this writer has come to find effective, long lasting, and sustainable is turning to the Creator and His Word.


I know.  That sounds so 1985 Sunday School"ish".  However, I've got over 30 years of doing life with Jesus to back up my hypothesis.  God truly is the foundation for everything in our lives.  To deny His ability to set my spiritual GPS in this crazy life to His ways is to go through life with deficit.


In ancient Israel, there was a King, King David, who was spectacular.  His reign ushered in a new era in the life of the Hebrew people.  He had, at his disposal, anything he needed.  Yet, he was so in tune with the Creator God that he had a rhythm of life that caused him to default to seeking God.  Enemies on the horizon?  Seek God.  His deference to seeking the divine brought him great success.  Was he crisis free?  No way.  However, when the crisis crept onto the front porch, he knew to whom he could ask what to do for help.


I am learning to reset my default to defer to the Divine.  I'm a 3 on the Enneagram.  I'm a Melancholy based on the four temperaments personality test.  I like order and structure and planning and security.  Good luck trying to keep all of that in check in 2020!  I know I can't find nor keep order, structure, plans or security on my own.  I certainly know I can't find nor keep order, structure, plans for security externally.  I can only depend on the sure foundation of faith in a Creator who's very nature IS order, structure, plans and security.  King David knew that.  


On any given day, there is so much chaos surrounding our lives that we will run ourselves silly and probably to the funny farm trying to chase order, structure, plans, and security.  We can work harder.  We can try to figure it all out on our own.  But oh, dear friend, I can assure you that all the work and all the strategy to try to figure out life on your own will result, %100 of the time, in failure.

So I've given a lot of words to define a delima and propose a solution.  Lovely.  But what does that look like in the life of a human?  Last week, this human was living a week full of hard.  If you go to my post you can read for yourself the issues we faced squarely in the face.  This side of a treacherous week, I can tell you we survived.  We didn't work harder.  We didn't try harder to figure everything out.  We surrendered.  I, personally, knew I was powerless to muster my own sanity.  I turned, very often without words but rather with deep despair in my inner self, to recite prayers to the One who could give me exactly what I needed.  And guess what, He did!  I am here.  I am alive.  I am not bound by the adrenal rush of stress.  I am living in a place of peace because I took my trouble to a loving Father and He carried me.


What's your stressors today?  I can assure you, if you have a relationship with God through Jesus Christ, He can carry them.  Place them ... or hurl them if you need to ... into his capable hands.  His return is peace.  And oh my word, don't we need peace in a time like we are living?!


Be blessed ... 


Share:

0 comments