Yep, another lesson from Nehemiah (only this time it's about hormones. Please don't read if you are faint of heart ... or embarrassed about hormones and other girl stuff - not really!)


So I’m still reading in Nehemiah … and getting so many life lessons there are not enough blog posts to capture what my little brain is soaking up.  But, perhaps, this Saturday morning, there is one more life lesson that needs to be shared.

I am a girl.  I have hormones.  Those of you who share my gender know exactly what I mean by that sentence.  Hormones are a wild and wonderful experience.  Yet, as I’m getting older, I do notice that hormones are becoming wilder and less wonderful than I’d like to admit.  This was one of those weeks.

I have been having “issues” with my friends (I’m just gonna start referring to my hormones as friends for the sake of being positive).  They haven’t been playing nice.  In fact, last week during my annual check-up, there was a need for some further blood tests and an ultra sound.  Seems I have fibroid tumors.  I know the “t” word is scary, but not in this case.  You can Google (as you can bet your bottom dollar I did) just exactly what they are:  common for “women of my age”, will go away during Menopause, can lead to anemia and cause pain in the lower extremities, usually are untreated unless they burst or begin to grow.

Couple the above news with extreme tiredness, heart palpitations,  some hair loss, pain in my lower leg, and other “swell” symptoms that need never to be shared via the internet and I had myself thinking things that I normally wouldn’t.  Cancer?  If so, what happens to my girls?  Terminal illness?  If so, would I be able to eat normally?  More tests?  What’s next?

Men probably don’t get this … but you, my female comrades, do!  Our minds take the fast track to disaster and camp out there and plan and fret and wonder.  This is where our buddy Nehemiah comes in … thank goodness, a ray of light!

In chapter 7 of the book of Nehemiah, there are 5 verses that really impacted me this week.  Nehemiah has just undergone a great feat, rebuilding the wall around Jerusalem.  He accomplished this with fierce opposition and intimidation.  Now, as all would seem well, he gave instructions for the inhabitants within the walls to stay on guard and watch the main city gates.  Further instructions were given to not only watch the gates, but also flat out close them … and bolt the locks during the hottest part of the day.

Nehemiah, are you paranoid?  Suffer from OCD?  Hear voices?  What’s wrong with you, our little over achiever?  The walls are built!  All is well … rest and enjoy the fruits of your labor. 

Nehemiah knows his enemy.  During the hottest part of the day, when people rest because of the heat, they are not prepared to defend themselves from an attack. 

Point here:  know your enemy … and never turn your back on him.

My enemy this week was not my “friends”, my intrusive doctor’s visit, my tiredness, heart or leg pain.  My enemy this week was the one who was throwing those nasty little thoughts my way …  that had no business entering my brain and camping out there, wreaking havoc on my emotions, my trust in a God who loves me, and causing unrest.  My enemy … your enemy … is real and active … and seeks to steal any and everything he can from those who would choose, by faith, to trust in a real and capable Savior.

If you look closely in the Bible for clues about who our enemy really is … you’ll find them.  He’s not pretty.  He comes to kill, steal and destroy.  That’s what those intrusive thoughts of mine tried to do.  I’m not a big bullet point, lister, kind of blog girl, however, today, we need a few bullet points to make a few points:

Know your enemy

Know his tactics

Be ready

If you are a follower of Jesus Christ, you probably have some idea of the way “the enemy” worms his way into your life.  It usually doesn’t come with an attached memo.  It is usually a slap in the face, a low blow, a total surprise.

Know this is his way.  He comes to kill, steal, destroy.  He’s not gonna gift-wrap our trials with pretty bows.  It’s gonna be ugly.  It’s gonna hurt. 

Be ready to fight.  Half the battle is recognizing what’s going on!  Be alert!  Those of us in my kind of work know that we are treading in enemy territory.  Why, oh why, then are we not prepared and taken off guard when we come face to face with evidence of an attacking army?  Humbly, I confess, for the same reasons I was taken off guard this week.  We rest during the hottest part of the day.

Good news.  I just have fibroid tumors.  My blood counts came back normal.  My doctor is keeping an eye on the growth, seeing me in 3 month for another ultra sound.  I’m pumping up the ol’ vitamin intake to help off-set the less desirable “other symptoms” and checking in with my doctor on a regular basis. 

Better news.  I know my enemy.  I know his tactics.  I am ready.  We would all do well by our friend Nehemiah and learn a few things from him:  stand guard, close the doors, bolt the locks.  It’s not out of fear, but a bold statement of clearly communicating to our enemy you, nasty fiend, are not welcome here.

This week, I’m gonna be better prepared for when … because all know it’s a matter of when and not if … the enemy crawls up to my city walls, he’s gonna get a gate slammed in his face.

Share:

0 comments