Big Libby



Yesterday, I went with Libby's class to the Rathaus Christkindlmarkt.  If you are not a resident of my fair city, then let me explain the Rathaus Christkindlmarkt!  The Rathaus is a building in Vienna which serves as the seat both of the mayor and city council of the city of Vienna ... and ... it's really, really pretty!  Every year at Christmas, the exterior becomes a giant Christmas village where you can stroll around looking through the stalls that are selling everything from Punch to Toys to Soaps to Ornaments.  All the while, inside they turn the interior halls into a Christkindl Werkstatt (Kids Craft Center)!  School-aged children come in by the herds, paying a small fee in return for a great craft to take home.  Taking part in this Werkstatt has become a regular tradition and one we look forward to each year.  



Libby signed up to make a bird house, one that will proudly take it's place atop our Christmas tree.  Each little Werkstatt (workstation) has little helpers that very orderly and stoically "help" the children with their craft.  While the children are "crafting" their little hearts out, parents can meander over to the little cafe for overpriced coffee ... but well-worth the experience!  In the air hangs the sweet smell of cookies baking ... another Werkstatt that children can choose to take part in.  Visitors can also buy the cookie creations ... that are only sold during this time of year.
Yesterday, I was a parent-helper.  Not knowing all the children in Libby's class, one of her precious little friends kept giving me "the eye".  After assessing the situation, believing me to be a friendly adult, she says to me:  "You look like Libby ... only bigger.  I think I'll call you Big Libby."

I love her little perspective.  It never dawned on her that Libby in fact does look like me ... not I who look like her.  It was just a matter of perspective.  She didn't know me.  She knows Libby.  If she knows Libby, then from her perspective, it is, indeed, I that look like the one she knows.

This morning, as I'm thinking about Christmas ... I am wondering who others see.  My prayer is that just as precious friend of Libby's saw Libby in me ... that others will see Jesus in me, too.  Just a little something to ponder.

Share:

0 comments